Building Unit



                                                        Building Unit   



1.) The San Ignacio & Santa Elena Building Unit (SISE-BU) will have its application, review and approval process reflect that of the Central Building Authority (CBA).


2.) The old application form will no longer be used. Instead, the CBA issued receipt book will be utilized. These books are completed in duplicate (CBA COPY and CLIENT COPY). SISE- BU has these receipt books, and technicians will need to fill out the particulars for the project in office since the book requires a signature of the professional on the 4th & 5th pages of the application.


3.) Professionals who are also members of the Association of Professional Architects of Belize (APAB) or the Association of Professional Engineers of Belize (APEB) and already have a CBA issued receipt book can submit the FILE COPY of the 5 application pages to the BU in lieu of filling in the in-house receipt book.


4.) 3 copies of proposed drawings are required – 4 recommended if the professional of record wishes to receive a copy of the permitted set for their records. Drawings should be legible and readable to the naked eye. The minimum paper size on which drawings will be accepted is 11”x 17”. All drawings, dimensions, notes and other information submitted, shall be displayed in a size and format that will enable them to be easily read and understood. A minimum font size the equivalent of Microsoft Word Times Roman 12 is required.


5.) The following are required for building plans drawing details; 1) detailed, properly labeled floor plan(s), 2) Elevations for each face,3) Cross section- showing form roof to foundation. Location to be identified on floor plan(s) (2 minimum, perpendicular to each other, required)4) Foundation layout and details.6) Stair(s) Details (architectural and structural), 7) Roof plan and roof framing plan, 8) Wall details and wall intersection details. 9) Column layout and details, 10) Floor framing plan(s) (showing beam layout and floor reinforcement – top and bottom), 11) Beam details, 12) Window schedules, 13) Door schedules, 14) Plumbing plans (water supply and waste disposal), 15) Septic tank details, 16) Soak away and/or leach field details, 17) Site plan (showing setbacks on all sides for all features/parts of the building nearest to the property line) 18) Sewage system shall be located 10ft. minimum from property lines and or 100ft. minimum from an open water source, 19) Location plan(clearly identifying the location of the property in reference to easily recognizable features).


6.) The following are other documents required; 1.) PUC approved electrical design, 2.) Approval of sewage Disposal System (Ministry of Health), 3.) Environmental Compliance Plan (where applicable) 4.) Letter of  “No Objection”, from other relevant authorities depending on the nature of the construction, 5.) Land Document for Lease of Title, 6.) Evacuation Plan with evacuation route demarked (if structure is to be used as a public building.)


7.) All plans should have the name of the professional as well as the name of the owner/authorized agent on the cover page in a font size that is large enough to be read easily.


8.) All building plans require a location layout for the project, clearly identifying the location of the property in reference to easily recognizable features.


9.) If a minor error is found the professional whose attention is called to the error may rectify it by altering the text using a pen to make the changes and placing their initial beside any corrections made on all pages of the plans and on all copies.


10.)      For residential buildings, up to 1000 sq. ft. and up to 1 story, plans may be handed in without the stamp of a registered architect or engineer. For residential buildings between 1000-3000 sq. ft., and up to 2 stories the stamp of a registered architect OR civil/structural engineer is required. For residential buildings greater than 3000 sq. ft., and more than 2 stories, the stamp of both a registered architect AND a civil/structural engineer will be required.


11.)      ALL public buildings, regardless of size will require the stamp of both a registered architect and a civil/structural engineer.


12.)      Public buildings will require a concept plan to be submitted BEFORE the formal building plans are submitted. This additional procedure has already been detailed in a previous electronic correspondence disseminated to all professionals on SISE-BU’s official list on August 9, 2014 and entitled “Public Buildings Notice”.

13.)      Public buildings are to have a sign that is visible to the general public, erected and maintained during the entire construction process, clearly identifying the architect, engineer or technician of record, as well as the contractor responsible for the project.


14.)      ALL plans submitted to the BU must be accompanied by a copy of a Public Utilities Commission (PUC) Approved Electrical Plan.


15.)      Building plans should differentiate between the square footage of (a) habitable enclosed areas (including internal stairs) versus other structures such as (b) external steps/stairs,

(c) verandahs, (d) rooftops, (e) ground floor slabs, driveways, drain crossings, paving, etc. This differentiation is required for proper calculation of permit fees. The formula for the calculation of permit fees is: 1(a) + 1/3(b) + 1/3(c) + 1/3(d) + 1/3(e). The total area of the project will be used to determine the rate, but everything else aside from the habitable area will be charged at one-third of the rate. To simplify this on the plan, two values can be included: 1.) Habitable/Livable Area & 2.) Total Area.



16.)      Fences are classified as Amenities along with pools, piers, etc., under the guidelines of CBA, and as such carry an application fee of $150.00.


17.)      When a project is approved and the permit fee has been paid, there are three

documents that will accompany that project: (i) No Objection to Proposed Development,

(ii) Application for Permit to Commence Building Works (to be filled out by the project owner) and (iii) Permit to Commence Building Works. The No Objection letter can be taken to a bank or other lending institution and when the project owner is ready to commence construction, the Application for Permit is filled out by the project owner/authorized agent, after which the actual Permit to Commence Building Works is issued. If the project owner is ready to commence works immediately, all three documents can be issued at once.


18.)      When a No Objection to Proposed Development is issued, the owner/authorized agent has 365 days from the date of issue to complete the Application for Permit to Commence Building Works. Once the 365 days have passed, the owner/authorized agent may still fill out the required form; however, the Application Fee that was paid upon initial submission of the project will need to be paid again. No further Permit Fee will apply.


19.)      SISE-BU will no longer be accepting project plans for locations in new subdivisions that lie immediately outside the cadastral boundaries of the municipality. Such projects are to be submitted to the Central Building Authority.


20.)      An architect, engineer or technician must accept responsibility for ALL projects submitted for review. Once the project has been approved, the professional may relinquish all responsibility for the project from that point on and the owner/authorized agent then assumes that responsibility.


21.)      The changes to the application, review and approval process at SISE-BU specified in this document took effect on February 21st ,2018.